Public Affairs position opening
The Forest Service will soon advertise a public affairs specialist position for the National Forests in Florida providing an exciting opportunity for someone in the public affairs arena. Our public affairs section implements a wide range of public affairs programs, including legislative affairs, media relations, public involvement, community relations, environmental education and others. The applicant would be offered a challenging but rewarding position in a progressive agency with many innovative, cutting edge programs.
The person in the position will be responsible for assisting in public affairs programs for the three National Forests in Florida and will be involved in:
- Public involvement planning and implementation
- Developing relationships with statewide media and responding to media inquiries
- Writing and implementing public affairs and communication plans
- Serving as a member of a state wide environmental education steering committee
- Writing and editing of various publications, sensitive correspondence, and news releases
- Providing public affairs counsel to Forest management on specific projects and plans
- Serving as Public Affairs Officer in her absence.
In other words, a wide range of public affairs skills and abilities are needed, however, some learning curve is expected.
Duty station of the position is the Supervisor’s Office of the National Forests in Florida located at 325 John Knox Road, Suite F-100, Tallahassee, Florida. The position will be federal government (GS9/11) with salary in the range of $47,000 to $70,000 based on qualifications.
The National Forests in Florida interact statewide with many diverse state, local, environmental and special interest agencies and groups. Because of the statewide responsibilities in this politically active state, the position offers complexity not found in many other positions.
To indicate your interest in this position, send an email to Denise Rains, Public Affairs Officer. Your name will be put on a list to be notified when the announcement is made so that you can make your application.